It’s Not Just Creative Writing, It’s Creative Living!
How many times have you put off the thing you want to do most?
We want to show you ways to integrate your passion into your everyday life, to help you recognize that your creative life is part of that life, an essential part, and that you don’t have to give up everything you have in order to pursue your dream.
A writer’s retreat can change your life!
It’s not just about time to write. It’s about being able to unplug from all the distractions in your busy life and to immerse yourself completely at the page.
How often do you get that chance?
It can make all the difference in working through an obstacle. Add in the strategies we’ll give you and you’ll be able to create time for your writing and then to make the most of that time once you get back home.
This retreat is the ideal place to reconnect with your reason for writing. Or, maybe, to connect with that part of yourself for the very first time.
“The retreat was a combination of insightful and valuable writing
strategies within an environment of beauty, peacefulness, and calm.”
The West Of The Moon Writer’s Retreat will help you:
- Learn practical tools you can use to write with intention, perseverance, focus and clarity
- Listen deeply to your body to discover your authentic self (the reason you’re probably in this whole writing thing in the first place)
- Listen deeply to your body to tap into the stories stored there
- Sculpt time to be at the page
- Specific tools and techniques to develop and to maintain momentum, and establish a consistent writing practice
- Experience writing as a way to connect with your authentic self
- Be part of a supportive community of peers that is committed to writing and listening together
- Time for you. Just you! (each day you’ll get time to disappear if you want, to explore New Harmony or your writing or yourself)
- Remember not just how it feels to play, but how play can benefit your life
- Write into your stories
“The leadership, openness, integration of body awareness and creative development provide unmatched synchronicity . . . The people, however, elevate the New Harmony retreat to the extraordinary . . . Vulnerabilities surfaced as we sweated together in the sunshine and wandered alone . . . all in the comfort of acceptance and compassion. Each participant found both solace and community, an elusive balance we crave outside of utopian environs. We found a new harmony in New Harmony.”
Need help slowing down, sculpting time, honoring your creative self, getting to the page?
Interested in developing a consistent daily practice of writing?
Curious about how to spark your own inspiration, even on days when you just don’t feel like there’s any to be found?
How would you like to have a few dependable, proven techniques for calming your mind, reducing stress, feeling grounded, sharpening your focus?
Care to keep honing your craft with some traditional and some not-so-traditional methods?
If you love to write; if you’re aching for a little guidance, for someone to show you how to get on track; if you’re curious about the mind-body connection or how your health and lifestyle impact your creativity; if you need a nurturing get-away that offers a healthy balance of dynamic workshops, peaceful natural settings for reflection, and solitude for writing, West of the Moon Writer’s Retreat is for you!
Yes, beginners are absolutely welcome. So are accomplished scribes.
You’ll be led by creative, supportive, fun-loving facilitators that bring writing experience and diverse backgrounds as coaches, mentors, teachers, as well as training and/or experience in photography, creativity coaching, and more.
5th Annual West of the Moon Writer’s Retreat
June 12th – June 17th 2016
Historic New Harmony, Indiana
Let’s face it. Writing requires more than passion and skill, more than imagination and pluck.
It also requires Time & Space.
And not just any time and any space. But uninterrupted time in a quiet separate place. Think of all you could do with some uninterrupted time and space.
Imagine no chores to do, no meals to prepare. As a matter of fact, imagine someone preparing your meals for you.
Imagine starting your day by moving your body, nourishing your mind and your imagination.
How about spending time with other writers.
Building a special community with people who share that creative passion. You know, the one your friends and family might not understand.
Throw in some tips, prompts, and recipes to spark your imagination and get your creative juices flowing.
There are workshops to enhance what you already know. And special workshops that explore ways to tap into the mind-body connection so you can silence your inner critic, gain focus, and maintain momentum.
Take strolls through town. Take a notebook to the park, listen to the birds, enjoy the art.
Visit the roofless church or the garden and be inspired. Walk the labyrinth or go for a hike at Harmonie State Park and get in touch with nature.
Learn new habits that make a writer’s life not just a dream but a reality.
You need time to write? You get time.
You need space? We hold the space for you so you can get in touch with yourself at a whole other level.
Need more? We’ve got more!
WINE & WORDS: Free Public Reading at Sara’s Harmony Way
(New Harmony’s Charming Wine Bar on 6/15/16 from 5:00PM-7:00PM)
Plus Open Mic Featuring LOCAL WRITERS!
AN AVERAGE DAY
- Gentle Morning Yoga
- Morning presentations/workshops
- Post-lunch small group break-out sessions/mini-workshops
- Free time each day (to create, reflect, recharge, explore, or to do whatever you want/need to do)
- Outdoor activities (walking, hiking, bike rides, soaking up tranquility, exploring the various parks and gardens in town, nearby state park)
- Afternoon is also time for One-on-One coaching (if desired, arrangements may be made for one-on-one coaching or mentoring for an additional fee)
- Evening activities including informal evening readings (purely voluntary), Q&A time if desired.
*Each day you’ll have time to explore, hunker down, be at the page, take what you’ve been learning and apply it to your specific writing project.
Final day – morning yoga, breakfast, recap, takeaways, a mala share of some snippets written during the week.
West of the Moon Retreat
June 12th – June 17th 2016
$1795 (THAT’S THE SAME AS LAST YEAR . . . AND THE YEAR BEFORE THAT . . . and the year before that . . .)
- $500 deposit needed to hold your spot, balance payable in installments
- Overnight Accommodations for 5 NIGHTS in the charming New Harmony Inn
- PRIVATE ROOM (with writing desk)
- PRIVATE BATH
- Use of all New Harmony Inn amenities (pool, fitness facility, free bike rentals, and more)
- Continental Breakfast (each day)
- Lunch (each day)
- Conference Center (meeting space for workshops)
- Gentle Morning Yoga
- Traditional Workshops
- Quiet Time & Space for Writing (or for exploring, taking photographs, decompressing, restoring)
- Mindfulness & Meditation Work
- TWO Experienced, Dedicated Facilitators
- Historic Small Town (founded on the concepts of collaboration, community, peace of mind)
- Remarkable Creative Energy
- A Sense of Community
- and more . . .
*dinners are on your own (though retreaters are invited to join Terry and Dave each night if desired)
**come early or stay longer – additional overnight accommodations may be made at an additional cost
Early Bird Special
*$500 Early Bird deposit due on or before 3/01/16
(balance due is payable in installments due 4/15/16 & 5/06/16)
Compare the West of the Moon Writer’s Retreat with other traditional writing retreats and with other yoga & writing retreats and we’re sure you’ll agree we offer more for less.
You don’t just get daily yoga sessions separate from your writing, but we show you how to use your body as a way INTO your writing with the intention of giving you more control over when and how you write.
You get traditional and some not-so-traditional workshops to provide you with an assortment of tools you can rely on once you get back home. After all, our goal is to show you how to be at the page long after the retreat is over.
Each participant gets her/his own private room with a writing table, so you can take what you learn in workshop even further, as well as private bath. Nearby gardens, labyrinths, and hiking trails also offer a chance to get out and enjoy nature.
Come see for yourself what sets us apart. It just might change your life!